Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Reaction Essay on our duty to help others.

This is an example of a student reaction essay.

An interesting question was purposed in the packet of questions we were given in class to me. This question was what obligations does society have towards the poverty stricken?

During class we had an interesting discussion about this question and it stuck with me for most of the following week. It is a very difficult question to answer because there are so many different opinions, and ways to go about it. I believe that people are definitely morally obligated to provide for the less fortunate. Sadly in America and countries all over the world that is often not the case. Too many people go hungry at night or worry about how they are going to pay for the pricy bills they receive.
           
I have always believed that one truly does not understand another person’s situation until they have, as it is said, walked a mile in their shoes. By this I mean, unless a person has gone through the situation like losing a job and not being able to pay a bill or becoming disabled in one way or another and not being able to work again. In these situations or any other unpleasant situation it is necessary to lend a helping hand.
           
In the economy today, if people were not given a helping hand, they would be out on the streets or worse. No help would also cause isolation because there would be no concern about others’ well-being.

As I have grown up and created my own values and beliefs the most important to me is to lend a helping hand to others. This value is how I chose to go in the direction of Social Work. The social workers choose to make a career out of helping others and giving support to those who need it. I understand that in some cases it is hard to give help to people, and that there are some who abuse the help, but no one who needs help should be penalized for what a few people have done. Everyone should be given a chance to have a happy life, and if that means that someone helped them get that life, then that is perfectly fine.

           
I am a Christian, and my faith is a major force behind my belief to be a helping person. In the Bible it even talks about our duty to help others, for example in the parable of a Certain Rich Man and Lazarus (Luke 12: 16-21). God sent His only son to die on the cross for the sins of the world. That is one of the ultimate sacrifices in my eyes, and if God can do that, then people should owe it to each other to try to help each other. That is, Jesus and His sacrifice should be a motivational example to all of us. We as people must remember that we need to treat others they way we would like to be treated.

No comments: