Sunday, September 28, 2008

Looking for Good Information about Candidates

Our family watched some of the debate on Friday night. I was not impressed by either candidate. On the other hand, neither candidate really came across as disturbing to me. McCain has been one of my favorite Republicans on the national scene (there aren't many I like in Washington), although he is no Richard Lugar, that's for sure. Obama is one of my favorite Democrats, so it's always nice to see him take a stand. I think that both candidates said some misleading things, and I can't stand to watch people spew bad information. As a scholar, good information is what I want, and I look at bad information the way some people look at spiders or snakes. It makes me uncomfortable. And so, after about an hour of the debate, we turned off the television and turned on a DVD player to watch an episode of Deep Space Nine.

But, what to do about politics? We need to stay informed.
In watching politics, I like to recommend the neutral fact-checking websites.

These are:
Fact Check (The Annenberg Foundation )
Pros and Cons
Fact Checker (Michael Dobbs at the Washington Post), and
PolitiFact (St. Petersburg Times and the Congressional Quarterly)
Health Care 2008 (Kaiser Family Foundation)

Another useful tool is the Project Vote Smart site.

No comments: