Monday, April 30, 2018

Student urges State Rep to support funding for Safe Schools (alternative schools)


To the Honorable Representative Avery Bourne,
207 North State Street
P.O. Box 38
Litchfield, IL  62056

Dear Representative Bourne,

I’m writing to you as your constituent and also because you serve on the House Appropriations Committee for Elementary & Secondary Education.  I’m mainly writing to ask you to be aware of issues that are arising after the 99th General Assembly passed (in August of 2015) the “Senate Bill 100”) changing student discipline policies and eliminating zero tolerance in our schools. This bill restricted the use of out-of-school suspensions and imposed rules about how school districts could use such expulsions or suspensions.  Now that schools must do more to establish discipline without the use of suspensions, we may need to spend more money on interventions that keep schools safe and maintain good order in schools without the use of zero tolerance.  Please be aware of this and look for opportunities to fund any school spending that can efficiently provide good discipline and safety in our public schools. Please look out for opportunities to fund interventions that are likely to work and are cost-effective. 

I have lived in this district all my life. I am beginning to have more interest in things going on in my community and the state of Illinois. I have never written to you before, but I have seen you in parades, and heard about you from my family and on television. I am not loyal to the Republican or Democratic parties. I vote for the candidate themselves rather than their party. Your support for policies and funding for public schools that would make our schools safe and orderly places for students to learn would impress and please me. 

Today I am writing you to let you know about a policy that I am for, but I think there should be some changes made. I’m referring to the new Illinois law (Senate Bill 100, from the 99th General Assembly) to prompt changes in discipline policies. This policy pushes to make suspension and expulsions a disciplinary last resort.

I agree with part of this policy. I agree with making suspension and explosion a last resort. I disagree with zero tolerance policies in which school administrators too easily rely on suspending or expelling students because most children do not like to go to school. It is almost like rewarding children for bad behavior by sending them home. When they are at home they can play video games or watch television as a pleasure. Some parents do not discipline their child for being suspended or expelled. I think in-school suspension or sending the child to a safe school would be more beneficial.

I especially want you to consider the benefits of safe schools. The school in my town sends disruptive students to a safe school called ChrisMont. Other schools in Montgomery County send their at-risk students there as well. Chrismont provides at-risk students with ways to cope with their problems along with providing them an education. I think Chrismont is a great alternative for disciplining students. Some students go there for a couple months, a year, or for the rest of their education. It all depends on how the child reacts to the program.  You or your staffers can become informed about safe schools by looking at information provided by the Illinois Coalition for Educating At-Risk Youth (ICEAR). 

We need to find alternative ways to help discipline child in school. Children learn from people around them. If we can discipline the students better maybe we won’t have as many school shootings. It doesn’t hurt to try something new. We don’t know if it works until it is tried. I know the students who go to Chrismont and come back to the public school have a lot more respect for the teachers and other students. We have to do everything possible to keep our children safe.  There is some good evidence and testimony about the quality of the Safe Schools (alternative schools) in Illinois, that I hope you know about.

Of course, there is going to be a worry about funding safe schools. Chrismont offers non-profit educational services under the Special Education Services along with transportation.  Since you are on the appropriations committee for schools, I hope you will keep an eye out for the funding that goes to safe schools. They seem to be doing a good job, and they provide a necessary service for students who aren’t thriving in the mainstream public schools of Illinois. 


Thank you for your time,
[Student in the SWK-355 Policy Course]

No comments: