Monday, December 14, 2020

Growing Up Poor In America

 Growing Up Poor In America

I loved every minute of this documentary [Frontline Season 2020 Episode 3]. I chose to write about this documentary for my reflection essay because as soon as COVID-19 spread I instantly wondered about the children that were already struggling. I think about the children whose only source of structure is school. Going to school everyday is some children’s only safe haven from their unstable households. 


    I wish I could do more to help these families. My heart broke for each family. I could not imagine going through those struggles as a child. I noticed that all 3 families had a running theme; they are all single mothers raising their children on their own. I feel for the mothers because it has to be a pretty awful feeling to not be able and support your children. I am not yet a parent but I imagine you would want to give everything you possibly can to your children. It would be heartbreaking to watch your children go hungry and not get an education that they deserve. The poorer neighborhoods often do not get as good funding for the children in attendance. 


    I grew up in a small town and my school did not adequately prepare me for my future in the slightest. However, I know that it still could have been worse. The family’s story that touched me the most was Shawn’s. I cannot believe how mature and grown up he acted for his age, it was so impressive. In a way it is sad because he feels he has to act that way because of his situation, so essentially he got his childhood robbed from him. He is such a good big brother to his baby sister and he helped his mom out whenever he could. I actually cried for him when he found out his favorite teacher passed away. This family has a trailer of their own and got some government assistance for food and bills. The mother just has to keep working at the Salvation Army in order to keep her benefits rolling in. 


    Kaila and Kyah do not even have a home to call their own. The documentary did not specify where they were living. They are all living with someone in one bedroom to the 3 of them. Their mom had a job lined up until COVID-19 hit. She was able to get some assistance because of that; but it just had not kicked in yet. They took advantage of their local food pantry as well as food stamps, so they did not go hungry. I really liked how Kyah said that “nobody wishes to be poor. Even though it may seem like it, it just means they accepted it.” Both girls seemed very wise for their age, most likely because they had to grow up faster than most kids due to their home life. The daughters seemed very grateful for what they had, even though it was obvious they wished they had more. It was hard to hear how they are already struggling with depression at such a young age. 


    Depression was also a running theme. Every child mentioned the feeling of overwhelming sadness or helplessness. Laikyn and Miracle also had a home that was theirs. Their mother had a job at a gas station and got some government assistance. It just is not enough to realistically support three people. She seemed to know exactly how to stretch it to get the most out of it and make it last the whole month. Laikyn was struggling very much with school due to ADD. I can attest how difficult it is for these kids to do school while not in their normal routines. I work at a daycare and virtual learning just does not work for most children. I understand that it is what must be done, but it definitely does not provide an ideal learning environment. 


    Miracle wanted to break the cycle and be the first in her family to go to college. I just do not think she comprehends how difficult that will be. I hope she buckles down and does it to get the life she deserves and wants. All of these families were just handed bad cards. Each mother was willing and wanting to work in order to provide for their children. It is not an issue of laziness but an issue of policies and the pandemic. We need more and better policies for these families but to get that we need better funding. These children are wasted potential because they know how to work harder than most and they have big dreams. How can we help them? 

No comments: